Yesterday’s project: a mini glue book made with coin envelopes.
This is something that’s been on my to-do project list for awhile. I received the envelopes in a swap years ago and had seen the project done on a couple of different creative blogs. Theirs however were altered so that the ends of the envelopes/pages were open and inserts were added. I just wanted to make a little no-fuss book.
Making the book: for the outside cover, take two envelopes (seams facing up) and stick the flap of one envelope inside the opening of the other envelope. Doesn’t really matter which. The other envelope’s flap will be to the outside now - glue it down to secure the envelopes. To make the pages, take another envelope, apply a little glue to the top of the flap (the clean side) and stick it in the “back cover” opening. You can stop here, or add another envelope/page like I did by repeating the page process again (inserting another envelope on top of the one you just did). At 4 envelopes, it’s a pretty tight squeeze (at least using this method) so I wouldn’t advise adding more. When all the envelopes are in place, you can go back and spot glue all the openings closed and then it’s just a matter of decorating the pages. I collaged mine with scrap papers and added some quotes & words I like.
There are different ways of doing it, this is just what I came up with after playing around with the envelopes. You could just as easily repeat the outside cover step and then attach the two at the center (staple, glue, sew?) to get the same amount of pages. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Putting together paper swaps…a couple of outgoing Instagram mail art swaps.
The paper goodies shown are going in the business sized envelope. There’s a page of quotes, some labels, an ad bookmark from the Dali Museum, a blank postcard (my last from the set I purchased from Unusual Cards way back when), an artsy “love card” from The Love Spell Box by Gillian Kemp, some random vintage and foreign bits, a bumper sticker and one of my ATC’s. The little coin envelope (with the stamped typewriter image) has some used stamps, a couple of stickers and some punches.
Artideck update…cards 13-21.
The deck is still coming along. I never set out to make a matched deck, so not having a set timeline and working on each one whenever I get a chance allows for some creative space between each card. There’s time for new supplies to trickle in and new inspiration & ideas to form. It means every time I sit down and work on a card I can come at it with a fresh view.
Mail Art Basics: Handmade Postcards
Handmade postcards are my bread & butter when it comes to mail art. I’ve made hundreds of them since I first started doing mail art over 3 years ago and they’re still my favorite things to make. I get quite a few questions about them - mostly from newbies looking to get in to mail art. Handmade postcards are a good place to start when you’re setting out on your mail art adventure and I thought I’d gather all my “old mail art lady” advice in one post.
Note: this info is mostly going to apply to domestic mail sent within the USA.
Another wood project I’ve been working on…a mini Christmas tray made over into Darth Vader wall art.
I have a few of these little trays - my mom snagged them for me while helping a friend clean house (I think they originally came from Dollar Tree). I’ve been using them to hold scrap paper bits and what-not, always thinking about turning one into an assemblage or something.
I decided this one needed to become some Vader art - there is always room for more Vader. First I peeled off the Christmas decal and covered the handles with kraft paper. Then the tray got a couple of coats of sparkly black paint (black acrylic craft paint mixed with some pearlizing medium) and flecks of metallic silver for a starry sky sort of illusion.
The background image is from an awesome Nat Geo special on the universe. It has tons of nebula and space images and it was hard to choose one. The light rays behind Vader’s head were cut from vellum. I mounted Vader on some corrugated board to make him pop a bit. Aluminum tape was used around the inside edges to secure the vellum and because it just looks rad.
In the end, the nebula image is upside down (wtf?), but it’s mostly obscured by other stuff.
Now to work on some mail art.
Introducing Simone…the wood grrrl silhouette I’ve been working on the last couple of days. I’m really happy with how she turned out.
This was originally a plain wood shape purchased from Michaels. I was drawn to it at first because I thought it would be neat to decorate it and mail it naked. Then it sat for a few years in my “to-do” drawer. When I picked it back up a couple of weeks ago, I wasn’t too intent on making it mailable - just finishing it.
First I covered the shape in black acrylic paint. Black because I knew I wanted the outer edges to be black, and because black always helps when you’re using double-sided papers, such as book pages - if you have a dark base color it’ll help fade out the text on the backside so it doesn’t show through on the front. After I painted it black, I remembered I was out of Mod Podge…then I was going out town for the 4th+long weekend. It would just have to wait a little longer. I really truly started working on it again a couple of days ago. That’s when I decided who she was going to be.
Materials used: lots of paper bits (patterned scrap book papers, magazine clippings, book images, a print-out of an old collage of mine, tissue paper, comic book clippings, hand-painted papers, FRAGILE label, die-cuts) all applied with Mod Podge, electrical tape (that’s what’s crossing through the FRAGILE label), rub-ons from a Crayola kit (her eyes & all the other “tattoos”), china marker, neon acrylic paint, paint pens, pencil, glitter top-coat (spot applied - just around the edges and around her eyes) and a couple of coats of gloss varnish to seal.